Sunday, April 21, 2013

Project Three: doin' the research thang!! ... including Patrick Owsley's sketches of QuickDraw.

As I'm sure you're aware, El Kabong is really QuickDraw McGraw.  Sorry if I deflated your belief in this "super hero."

Well, he is.  El Kabong is QuickDraw.  So to prepare for our poster/comic book cover/whatever project I looked for some model sheets.  I found some really good ones.

Patrick Owsley* is one of the greats and he posted some great pencil sketches of QuickDraw and Babalu.  Here's one that even includes the bull!
Ha ha!  Poor ol' "Queekstraw" doesn't know what's about to hit him!
This is Cartoon Network's standard model sheet of QuickDraw:
And here are some more of Patrick Owsley's sketches:
Well... he is a horse... kinda...

Coolness personified!!  QuickDraw with Snooper and Blabber and Augie Doggy and son.  Odd assemblage, I should say, but hey: great sketch!!
I think we all agree Mr. Owsley is a great cartoon artist!  If you check the "My Blog List" side-bar (to the right) you'll see I've included his very excellent blog.

What I love about his sketches is they are so true to the original show... they could easily have come from the original Hanna Barbera studio on Cahuenga Blvd. (3400 Cahuenga Blvd., in fact.  If you ever get the chance and you're near Burbank, stop by and pay homage to the "house that Huck built."  The buildings are still there, including the retro art facade, but now they're occupied by a LA Fitness and very expensive apartments - I'm sorry, but $1,850/mo for a 1 bedroom!!  Shame, really, but I believe the story is that when Turner Enterprises bought HB they relocated the studio onto the Warner's lot, something like that.  Don't quote me on that.)

Between these sketches, model sheets, and the video captures from the previous blog post there is more than enough info so that we can blue pencil our elements.

*Allow me to refer you to Mr. Owsley's Coroflot (an online design portfolio/info site).  This guy is fantastic and his site goes way, way beyond pencil sketches!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment