Sunday, June 9, 2013

Harvey Eisenberg shows us how to draw trees

As mentioned in the last post, Harvey Eisenberg used to draw the HB Yogi Bear newspaper comics.  Because Yogi lives in the forest... Harvey drew a lot of trees.  He got really, really good at it.  Here's my best effort to show you his technique:


Start with a basic shape for the trunk... nuthin' fancy...

Darken your pencil lines...
Suggest a little texture...





All you need are squiggly lines for foliage...

Add 'em together and it starts to look like a tree!...

For the area around the roots we can draw some vaque mound-like shapes...

...and then define the edges.

Remove your "mound guides"... mound-like bushes.  Huh!  Whatdya know?

Distant pines can be squiggly triangular configurations...
Straight lines suggest "off in the hazy distance."  I lightened my pencil and used the SHIFT key to make more or less random straight lines...
... erase what you don't need...
You can use the same trick for distant mountains.  Also please note I add a few hazy "off in the distance" pines to the left side of our picture.
I'm using a pencil tool in SketchBook Pro for my "pencil rendering."  I add a little of the Space parameter... just a little... to suggest a rough sketching pencil.  By flicking the color puck you can increase and decrease the opacity, allowing you to draw with lighter or darker lines.

Remember, no intersecting lines between foreground and background.  The background should always give way, suggesting distance.

This is a great exercise I'm sure you can do better than me.  Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment